Environmental Stewardship Program
UltraCraft is proud to be part of the The Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturer Association's ESP program. This certification is awarded to cabinet manufacturers that meet and maintain specific requirements that help promote a greener planet. Included in the requirements are the following.
* 80% of particleboard, medium density fiberboard, and plywood used in the cabinets must meet the formaldehyde emission level of the California Air Resources Compwood ATCM and must be third-party certified to meet low formaldehyde emission standards
* 80% of hardboard used in the cabinets must be third-party certified to meet low formaldehyde standards.
* 75% of cabinets must be finished domestically. Finishes emit no greater hazardous air pollutants than allowed by local plant operating permits
Product Resource Management
* 80% of particleboard, medium density fiberboard, and hardboard used in cabinets must contain 100% recycled or recovered fiber content
* Manufacturers utilize an annual, written training plan to educate their hardwood suppliers of their preference for purchasing certified lumber
* Hardwoods, softwoods, and plywood purchased are certified through a recognized sustainable forestry program
Process Resource Management
* Manufacturer has a comprehensive recycling program for process wastes
* Manufacturer has a program for tracking and reducing process wastes with documented goals and reports
* Manufacturer uses process by-products to generate alternative energy
* Manufacturer has a documented energy conservation program
* Manufacturer is required to have a written policy stating a firm commitment to environmental quality
* Manufacturer has an Environmental Management System
* Manufacturer reviews environmental practices and policies of its key vendors and contractors
* Manufacturer has a documented program that promotes the use of renewable/recycled materials
* Manufacturer demonstrates community involvement and leadership through service or charitable organizations
* Manufacturer observes all federal, state, and local environmental requirements
* ESP participants agree to report to KCMA with 60 days of any local, state or federal citation in excess of $50,000 per violation explaining the circumstances of the citation or violation. Such citation or violation could lead to termination from the program.
Points are awarded for meeting each of these criteria. Manufacturers must earn at least 80 of a possible 105 points and must earn points from each category to be certified.