Over time, your cabinets may need some small adjustments to continue to align and function correctly. These tasks are simple and homeowners are typically able to tackle them with a Phillips screwdriver and a bit of guidance from these tips below.
Cabinet Hardware and Cabinet Hinges
- How to fix a loose cabinet hardware: Your hardware can become loose from frequent use. Simply use the appropriate screwdriver based on the screw head type to re-tighten any loose decorative hardware by turning the screw clockwise.
- How to tighten loose door hinges: Use a Phillips head screwdriver to tighten any door hinges that might have come loose. Locate the screws used to fasten the hinge to the face frame and tighten by turning clockwise.
Cabinet Door Alignment
- How to fix cabinet door alignment:
- Doors can be adjusted up and down by slightly loosening the screws used to fasten the hinges to the face frame. Once the screws are loose, move the door to its proper location and hold in place while you re-tighten the screws. Be aware that, sometimes, screws are hidden beneath a cap that will first need to be removed prior to adjustment.
- Most doors can be adjusted side to side to close or open the gaps between doors. Use a screwdriver to adjust the screw typically found on the hinge arm that attaches the cup portion found in the door to the plate found on the face frame. Adjust the screw and close the door to view the adjustment made. Fine-tuning this adjustment may take a few tries.
- Most doors can also be adjusted in or out to bring the door closer or further away from the face frame. Use a screwdriver to adjust the screw that is typically found on the hinge plate towards the inside of the cabinet.
Cabinet Drawer Alignment
- Most cabinets use drawer slide hardware that is adjustable. If you pull out a drawer and do not see any visible slide hardware, this indicates the use of under mount hardware that can be adjusted. Height can be adjusted on both sides by positioning yourself to see the underside of the drawer box to locate the slider tab on the drawer’s locking device. Once located, slide the tab towards the back of the drawer to raise that side of the drawer.
- Adjustable shelves can easily be adapted to accommodate different heights of cabinet contents. Simply remove the shelf by lifting one side off the shelf clips (note: some brands require you to press in a retainer tab built into the shelf clip while lifting). Remove the shelf clips by twisting and pulling outward. Plug the shelf clips into the desired location and replace the adjustable shelf.
Roll Out Tray
- Empty the roll tray and remove them by fully extending the tray and then reaching on the underside to disengage the locking devices. Re-adjust the roll tray wood suspension system to the desired location. Re-install the roll tray by pulling out the slides and then sliding the roll tray box back onto the slides until they engage.